Saturday 16 February 2019

Mother Earth

I'm in agony
My child, my dear, my bairn
I'm in agony, can't you hear my screams?
They started off small, mere tremblings, and then
Grew as the pain increased.
Sweat is breaking forth upon my crown
And it's rising in my underneath too

The natural cold chill there - it's abating my dear
As the perspiration beads like stupendous dew
My heart though still beats steadily,
and my veins flow thick as they ought
But my skin pricks
Flowing with dirt and grime
And the trillion small particles
You recklessly make from ancient creatures and then
Dispose of

The creatures who lived and still live on my surface, my dear,
The bairns, my children just like you,
Are not slowly, but quickly, dying, child
And I don't know what to do

I continue to scream in agony
I continue to try to get your attention
As you kill me with your smoke, your poison and your craft
Those things that you leave around my person, my room,
Those broken toys that ultimately I made, that you stole from my flesh to power your empires

I called out to you louder and louder through the ages, child
I made mountains tremble and seas rise
Now I'm screaming through the fire, yelling through the wind and earth
As you continue to kill
Continue to wipe out my children
Who are your children too

You're poisoning me my dearest one
My most precious and ingenious creation,
In deepest Africa I gave you life
And then you rose like a new hope
And you moved across my skin, sailing my many seas.
As the heat rose and I sweated, giving you tides, you sailed with me, taking my natural cycles of warmth and chill as wrote.

When I froze you still loved me
When I warmed again for you
You still cared
Then why is it, darling, that now I am calling for you the loudest ever
That you ignore me
And strike me, again and again
I'm in agony my dear, I'm dying
And this time, it's all your doing

No comments:

Post a Comment