Saturday 6 July 2013

Hello.

Sequel to "Goodbye."

There was a time not so long ago when I could have conquered the world.
Or, at least, that is what it felt like.
If someone had placed a sword in my hand I believe I could have smite a dragon.
If someone had given me the time and money I believe I could have saved the princess.
If someone had placed within me their undying trust then I believe I could have come home, victorious, on the back of a white steed and married her, in the end. That girl, that princess.
But no longer.
Now the worst day of my life is over and I look into the future.
The sun dawns, I watch it dawn.
And I bow to it and say "hello".
Yesterday the me who was a boy, young and breaking hearts wherever he went, died.
Today a man awoke.
And he bows, and says, "hello".
Later on today I might ascend my horse. He is not white, but rather sorrel, and has a lurching gait. But I might ride over hill and valley, facing the wind and closing my eyes and trying to let all the worries of the world pass.
But I cannot.
I still think. Of you. And how I ruined your world. Ruined your life.
And for that I can never forgive myself.
I am me. You are you. And we will never be.
I could spend years writing an apology, but that will not work. Instead I will remember that it was me who broke your heart, it was me who let you go. And I will turn from this place and face the sun and say "hello".
I will say "hello" future, "hello" world. I will try to forget the one I was in love with, even though you were not her and try to rebuild everything.
Piece by crumbling piece.
I will fail.
Then face the sun again, and say "hello".

No comments:

Post a Comment