Monday 18 July 2016

16/07 Racism

What I have here in my hand
Is a heart
That pumps with time
It accelerates and punctuates
And communicates and
Has the shakes
But
It's just a heart, the same heart
It could belong to you
Or me

Okay, right so perhaps
A heart is smaller to fit with the body
Mine would be tiny, like a child's
Okay, it might have a fault - it's true
But in the end they look quite the same
Same colour, same four chambers
Same blood rushing through their core
Same feel, same touch,
Same warmth, destination and occupation
So in a way
We're sisters 

But on the outside we are not
I have green eyes and you have brown
I have straight hair, you have that
Afro-carribean frizz I love to
Play with, plait with, laugh with
My skin is pale as a waxing moon
And yours is as chocolate as a coffee bean 
(Or chocolate)
Our hands are different sizes and shades
Our bodies are different shapes
I'm an hourglass, you're an apple
I have big boobs, for my stature
And yours are more reasonable
You have big feet
I have tiny
And when we walk together we need to
Find a pace that suits us both
And when we walk with our friend
Yes she wears a scarf around her head
And we
Get torments
Such as, "Go back to Isis."
But she doesn't have a cousin named Isis.
Instead her cousin is called Mo.

And her heart is the same as ours,
All bloody and fleshy and same four chambers
Same boom boom when it beats
Same rhythm when it repeats
It's soft and it's bold
It never gets cold
So long as its in the body
So long as we keep it inside
So lets keep it in
Our forms
Inside of us
Which all conform
Because underneath the skin
And brain and thoughts
We're the same
We're exactly the same
In fact
We are human

No comments:

Post a Comment